Saturday 7 November 2009

Water pump woes!


Bearings arrived and have duly been changed.

Whilst I was at it I decided to change the water pump as this is a notoriously unreliable component, and from what I can make out, has never been changed on this bike.

Originally I had been planning to simply take a spare and change it if it failed when we are out there.

How glad am I that I didn't - one of the studs retaining the water pump cover had seized and simply sheared off when I tried to remove it (very common on these models).

Fortunately it was not too much of a job to get it out using plenty of WD40 and a large vice but had this happened in Africa, trying to repair it in the middle of nowhere with limited tools would definitely have been a test of both ingenuity and patience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment