Monday 2 November 2009

Cut-down Crates and Broken Bearings.


As Martin has said, the crates have arrived, courtesy of Vines of Guildford. These are standard crates that BMW use to ship all their bikes - one size (namely large!!) fitting all.

Because shipping costs are based on volumetric weight, it is essential to make them as small as possible. So 2 hours work with a hammer, saw and tape measure has seen our 2.2 m³ crate diminish to a meagre 1.4 m³. Result!


Taking off the front wheel makes the crate even smaller and while I was there I had a look at the wheel bearings.I was already 99% certain that I would change them as a precautionary measure as, from what I can tell, they are still the originals.

It therefore wasn't a big deal when I found them to be a bit "notchy" and in need of replacement anyway. While I'm there I'll replace the back ones too.



A quick search on Ebay and I've found just what I need at almost a 10th of the price BMW wanted. It's now just a matter of waiting for them to arrive and fit them.


So we're nearly there! bikes, crates, carnets - all the hard work is over. This really could happen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment