Tuesday 16 February 2010

Sick as a parrot!

Tuesday Morning Feb 16th: Martin writes: Good news, Paul found his Carnet on retracing his steps and he had made amazing progress through Tanzania reaching around Nzega. Well done matey, obviously quicker to travel alone! I dare say he will give his own update once back in contact. Singida was less than 100 miles away as of last night.
Martin had a good night and tried not to look out of the window at THE bike...which has now become a sort of object of hatred.
It would not start yesterday at all despite several attempts so rumours of its death were by no means
exaggerated! Except that today I drove it to the shipper to be loaded onto a container because it decided to start. Very spluttery and poppy but it made it to the shippers yard.

Ready to go!...home!

This served only to sicken me more. The whole thing is doing my head in but I still feel I had little choice but to do what I did yesterday given that we had many many hours of it not starting despite our best efforts.

To be very honest with you dear reader my travelling companion was a total star and is not one to give up on anything or anyone to whom he has made a commitment. I am struggling with feelings of failure and deep disappointment in myself and the bike and the situation in general. I will get over it and as my mother used to say worse things happen at sea. The journey I did make will never leave me and so I am eternally grateful for every opportunity I was given to explore and experience a chunk of this amazing continent.

Rwanda has a sort of gentleness about it that is very palpable. People are gentle, slow and deliberate with a great sense of inner peace. I guess post 1994 the nation has been changed in many ways. There are many signs of sustainable and creative commercial growth here as well as a social scene that seems very relational.

Rwanda is very beautiful

Last night I was eating supper and in the room next door I thought I heard some guys being
very loud and boisterous, I thought maybe they were playing pool or something. Actually they were praying. Like I have seen no one ever pray before, not even Koreans or Nigerians. They were praying as if their lives depended on it. I guess because for them, it does. I feel I have learned a little bit about that in the past few days!

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear the papers have been recovered... that is truly amazing! Feeling your disappointment, but know that the Lord will bring good things out of this time, He always does! heaps of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your highs AND lows on your travels are touching and inspiring so many people - we are praying for that "great sense of inner peace" for you both and sending lots of love - and looking forward to welcoming you home xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we are praying with you, Martin! Would not be surprised if God had a few more special goodies in store for you in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about the papers: did Paul find his shoes as well? So sorry you are in this situation, but as Christoph says, who knows what's ahead? So trust, trust, trust and expect the unexpected (I was going to say 'no one expects..' but that would have been a cheesy and cheap Pythonesque reference to link with your headline!). Every Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin, I think we all feel so sad for you BUT we know that the Lord is in charge and He has lots of blessings to shower on you during these next few days. We are all praying like mad (!) for you and Paul. May God's peace really descend on you today. Love Sue (F)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash Wednesday .. and listening to K Love in your honour here in damp west London. Chins up!

    ReplyDelete